Monday, November 14, 2011

Dare to DIY: Dare to be Thankful

Here is my first post for the Dare to DIY blog party  over at Newlywoodards. The theme this week is Dare to be Thankful. As I was thinking really hard about what I could do looking at Pinterest for inspiration, I came across this little set up:

The Mister and I got married on the farm his dad grew up on. His uncle and aunt still live there and the major crop is filbert nuts (hazelnuts if you are fancy), so when I saw this I just smiled. I put this together and I think it would be perfect as a centerpiece for Thanksgiving with his family.

 I absolutely love the different sized candle holders in the original picture. However, I was trying to use what I had on hand, which are vases from the dollar store.  I used the metal tray that held my candy corns during Halloween, and I bought 1/4 yard of brown leaf fabric to cover the base. To give some height to the display I took a small box and put it under the fabric and put the back candle holder on top.

And yes, that is my bouquet from our wedding a year and a half ago. I thought it looked nice next to the display :)

Did you Dare to DIY? Do you have any Thanksgiving decorations that you love? Is it weird that I still display my wedding flowers?

13 comments:

house of earnest said...

That looks really cute! I love that you used the nuts! During the holidays, my dad has bowls of nuts sitting everywhere... not quite sure why, but this reminds me of home :)

Mrs.CFH2 said...

It looks great! I love decorating with natural elements :) Found you through the Dare to DIY Party, would love for you to check out my entry too! http://myhappycasa.blogspot.com/2011/11/diy-rustic-thanksigiving-sign.html

Sara @ Forever and a Recipe said...

Hey! Found your blog over at the Dare to DIY Party! Love this idea - I'm definitely going to try it out this season! Thanks for the great idea!

Kim@NewlyWoodwards said...

This is fabulous! Love the idea of using what you have to make something so lovely! It really looks nice, and I love the nuts and the pretty tray the candles are sitting in.

And don't even get me started on that bouquet and the bark. LOVE!

Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY!

Lucky Girl said...

I agree with Kim - the bark vase is so gorgeous!! I think its neat how your DIYs will also fit beautifully with winter-y decor as well.

Anonymous said...

The bark vase is awesome!!!

Hey! I saw that you signed up for the bookclub! Is there anyway you could email me at cr9701@gmail.com so that I can get your email address! Thank you:)

Erin @ DomesticAdventure.com said...

Visiting from NewlyWoodwards. I love the hazelnuts...I think I saw that photo on Pinterest, too! I am using nuts in next week's table decor challenge!

Jessi | Minnesota Mrs. said...

LOVE this! You could easily change it up with different fillers but I Love the hazelnut idea. It probably smells yummy too? This will be great for the fall/winter season.

Sugarr2518 said...

It's so simple and makes a statement! Love it:)

Unknown said...

My family always had a bowl of nuts around the holiday too. I bought some for my first apartment and realized I didn't have a nut cracker :)

The vase was an etsy purchase for the wedding and I still love it!

Ashley@ DesignBuildLove.co said...

absolutely LOVE your centerpiece!!! My husband's family has almond orchards and peach orchards, so we always do our best to get the real deal when we can too! I LOVE that you used items you already had on hand! Awesome results with little $$$ spent!

Brittany said...

Hi Casey! I'm your newest follower :). This is beautiful! So simple yet festive.

Emily said...

I'm a new follower, I am a HUGE crafter and love this! I may make this over Thanksgiving break with my mom!